Old 02-05-20, 08:50 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I did use DynDNS, for a few years until they told me it wasn't free anymore. They were going to start charging me. Is it still free for you?
Long and short? Oracle bought them out in the mid-2010s. They asked me for money in 2014, gave me 25% off, I paid $67.50 and they didn't ask me for money again until last year, they wanted $100 for 2 more years, but I had some offer for another 10% off from who-knows-where and ended up paying $89. My service w/Oracle will expire next year and I'll probably finally get off my ass and move elsewhere, the current setup with DynDNS is just too convenient for me, honestly, so I was OK with the initial $67 for the 5 years, but when they came back with the new $40/yr garbage a few months ago, it left a bad taste in my mouth, I just didn't have time to reconfigure all of the remote systems I use the service with. It's a write-off for me anyway, but ... still!

You should know DynDNS (now Oracle) isn't the only fish in the sea, ever since residential internet-connected CCTV became a thing 10-15 years ago, DDNS exploded and everyone - especially WAP and CCTV manufacturers - was hopping in the game. Example: I just logged into my Netgear WAP upstairs, it supports three different providers: DynDNS.org, NETGEAR DDNS, noip.com. Checking my commercial firewall, which is a bit dated, it supports DDO and DynDNS. FreeDNS is a huge provider a lot of home users rely on.

But you should also know you don't need to rely on your network devices to manage this for you. Back in the days before P2P filesharing became a thing, DDNS existed then also so us geeks could use home FTP and WWW servers. The free providers back then had an agent/service you can install on your server or any system inside your house, and it will periodically ping their service to get your existing external IP. I can't imagine that doesn't still exist with the free providers out there.