View Single Post
Old 02-17-20, 09:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
A very bright helmet mounted light had done more to increase passing space and decrease passing speed than anything else, when riding at night. I use a 1200 lumen Zebralight H600w Mk IV
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I am very confused by this post. I used to ride with high-lumen lights (bars and helmet). Have done it for years. One of my bar lights was so bright, motorists would flash their brights at me, unless it was basically pointed at the ground. That light was 1300 lumens. Pedestrians and other cyclists covered their eyes in discomfort, completely blinded. People flipped me off and yelled at me--routinely. I am pretty sure none of that was created in my mind. Pretty sure all that happened, like, a million times.
I think these experiences are not contradictory. I do imagine that a very bright light, especially if shone directly toward motorists, will both drive them away from the source and anger them. Of course, it might also endanger them and/or others, if the light is bright enough to temporarily dazzle them.

Note that I'm not really condemning any approach here. In a society that gives little respect to cyclists, we might have to sometimes take extreme measures to protect ourselves. I'm sure that 'taking the lane' irritates some motorists, but I do it regularly. (And if I'm traveling fast enough, it's perfectly legal.)

Last edited by Koyote; 02-17-20 at 09:20 AM.