Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Be Flexible.

Be flexible in your scheduling ... plan to ride 3 or 4 days and then take a day off. That way, if you encounter bad weather, you're free to stay put for a day or only ride part of the distance you were intending. Or if there's a tourist attraction you really want to see or do, you can. Plus it gives you a chance to rest so you don't wear yourself out.

Be flexible in your bookings. I book the first night or two, and then, if I like the place, I'll book the last night or two. And then I'll play the rest of the nights by ear. If it's a weekend and I think a place might be busy, I might call ahead early in the day for that night. I don't want the pressure of having to reach a destination if I'm having a particularly rough day.

Be flexible with your things ... know that in many cases, you'll be able to buy clothing and other supplies along the way. Unless you're doing the Dempster Highway or crossing Mongolia (and a few other places, of course) you aren't touring in a bubble. You'll likely be passing through towns where you can buy things so it's not the end of the world if you forget something, or if you discover that you should have brought a warmer top, or if you run out of shampoo, or whatever. You'll also be able to mail stuff home or give things away if you discover you've got too much.

Be flexible with your meals. Chances are you'll need to eat a bit more when you're cycling all day than when you're not, and it's OK to break the "meal rules". Eat when you feel like eating and what you feel like eating. If you don't feel like bringing cooking gear with you, that's OK. If you prefer to cook your main meal in the middle of the day because you know you'll arrive at your campsite after dark, that's OK. If you want to eat ice cream when you arrive at your campsite, and then cook your dinner, that's OK. And anytime you find yourself feeling irritable with your cycling partner, stop and have a snack right then and there ... don't wait until the next "mealtime" to eat.

That ... and get out and ride lots now!!