View Single Post
Old 08-21-19, 02:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by McNamara
I didn't actually cite racing performance as my top two reasons for trying tubulars in the OP, but I would very much appreciate the ability to finish a lap in a crit on a flat tubular. Easier than changing a tube just to get back to my car. That said I really don't have anything against carbon clinchers - I'm not worried about braking heat. There isn't a descent within hundreds of miles of me that would challenge rim brakes.

Mainly I would like to become proficient at gluing tubs before they (inevitably?) go extinct in a decade or so. I feel like I need to see what all the fuss is about over ride quality. Some people have said they don't notice a difference compared to quality clinchers with latex tubes, others do. And as conservative as the pros can be, I doubt they use tubs mostly for historical reasons. They probably do it because they don't have to glue the tires on themselves!

After doing some searching, it looks like a set of lightly used carbon tubular rims might be the smartest way to get into this. Plenty of choices compared to new wheels and somewhat cheaper too.
The thought that is at the back of the minds of the pros - what if I flat on a crazy speed descent? With a well glued tubular, you just brake to a stop. From any speed. You can use the brake on the flatted wheel (gently). And it doesn't matter what caused the flat or what happened to the tire. You could probably roll to an uneventful stop from 50 mph after a close range load of buckshot from a passing car (if the rim survived). Now, if a blowout destroys a wire bead on a clincher, that outcome may well be career ending. You can also do major rim damage to a tubular rim and as long is it still rolls and gets though the frame and brake calipers, the tire stays on and you have a good shot at not crashing. I've several times put 1" deep or more indents in tubular rims from winter potholes and the like and just bumped home. Not even a flat. (10 miles once.)

I am looking at going back to tubulars in the not so distant future for the peace of mind. That and for enough money I can ride those magic carpets again, a nice bonus. Good race silks or modern synthetic equivalents. For a while I commuted on Clement synthetic Pari-Roubaix's. 290 gram tire and tube on 400 gram rims. Completely race worthy (for poor pavement; a little heavy for the smooth). All weather, sturdy tires and what a ride!

Ben