Old 06-06-19, 04:53 PM
FlRon

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
I really appreciate what it is that you are doing!

I just turned 61. The last big ride I did was a 50 mile trip in 1994. I have ridden a few times since, almost all of it on a rail trail using a mountain bike and nothing more than a slow 20 miles. I think going into 2019 I had a total of about 300 miles total over the last 24 years.

I decided that I would ride in a charity 65 mile road course in July. This meant that I had to take my mid-1980s classic steel out of mothballs and make her seaworthy. I did this over the long PA winter.

Long story short with about 400 rail trail miles logged in since January 1, I rode in a warm up 30 mile road ride last Saturday (6/1/19). This was challenging I think about 6 long hills to climb. I was not ready at all but somehow I made it. Took a few days to recover and hit the trail on Tuesday, did a "quick" 20 miles and I have to say I feel fantastic. I think having pushed myself beyond what would be consider reasonable, which I would never had done if I were simply riding on my own, I think that event took my physically into a different plane. I'm actually looking forward to increasing my ride mileage. I'm going to ride a minimum of 3 times/week and starting next week take my distance up 5-6 miles/week.

So I'm really glad I got up the gumption and made the commitment. I hope you FIRon are able to do the same!
Thomas you are in a league that I doubt I値l ever see. Twenty and thirty mile rides are something that seems unobtainable from where I知 at today. I知 doing between 5-7 miles four days a week, in addition to walking 2.5-3.0 miles six days a week. I知 trying to just get stronger, but I really don稚 have any set goals as of yet. Maybe in a few months I値l start thinking along those lines. Your post is very encouraging, and I thank you for it.