Old 08-19-19, 01:35 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JesseMN
Currently I am trying to figure out what rear bicycle panniers to purchase. Should I purchase new or preowned? I really want to try them out see how they go and I am planning to do some bicycle packing on some weekends. To possibly go on tour in the next couple of years. All help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Jesse
You are using the term "bike packing" which can mean different things to different people. And you say that you are trying to "figure out" what to purchase and then to "try them out".

Based on that, I'd suggest not investing too much until you know what suits you, then you can go on the bargain hunt.

There's nothing wrong with used quality panniers. Check fittings and look closely for abrasions that may have damaged the waterproof integrity of the material.
A set of Ortliebs will run for years unless subjected to abuse.
The only thing is that if you're not familiar with Panniers you may not know what to look for in terms of damage/weak points. If you have a friend with panniers, perhaps they can help.

Then when you know what you want in terms of size/material/mounting system you can look for your "proper" panniers. Then you always have your older ones to share with a friend or to do your shopping.

I give this advice based on the fact that you are still not sure what you need.
If you knew what you needed I'd suggest buying new. Quality panniers are a long term investment that pays, off in my experience.
Likes For HobbesOnTour: