Old 11-19-20, 03:03 PM
Yellowlab

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR8, 2017 Cannondale Slate 105, 2018 Trek Domane SLR 6, 2019 Specialized Allez Elite, 2019 Diamondback Release 3 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by reconnaissance
Well, it’s definitely badly damaged. You didn’t say how you did it, but your repair will at least keep the rain out You recognized this is a structural member and given the circumstances took a shot at repairing, which is definitely to your credit. At best the repair is a “stabilizing repair” not a permanent repair.

For anyone afraid it will fail, it might but there will be warning signs before it does. The OP seems to possess more than a modicum of “garage logic” and will do the right thing. Time might present options to replace the frame so he’s not left stranded.
Hi reconnaissance, thank you for the feedback. I was backing the tractor into the shed and looking behind me to do so. When I cut the wheel slightly to adjust, the bucket which sits way out in front swung over enough that the tooth of the bucket was able to do this damage. Normally the bike is hanging on a rack out of reach so it usually isn't a concern. One of those situations where I forgot to hang the bike and the bucket was just at the exact right height and everything came together just right. Not my finest moment for sure.

Appreciate the comment regarding apparent garage logic, I would like to think you are right but my ego isn't such that I wouldn't get a second opinion which is why I'm posting here; to get the opinion of folks like yourself. Also, this bike will primarily be used as trainer bike during the winters on Zwift. I suppose I should have mentioned that in the OP. I have other bikes that I ride on the road so this one is likely to see very little if any real riding.

Thanks again,
Cliff
Likes For Yellowlab: