Old 11-19-20, 05:20 PM
Yellowlab

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR8, 2017 Cannondale Slate 105, 2018 Trek Domane SLR 6, 2019 Specialized Allez Elite, 2019 Diamondback Release 3 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Re: etching
Aluminium spontaneously react with air by forming an oxide layer. Getting stuff to bond well to that layer is tricky. The etching is supposed to remove that oxide layer to let whatever you’re applying bond to truly bare metal.
One option to etching is to mix up a small batch of resin, then use that to wet sand the area about to be treated. The sanding breaks through the oxide simultaneously as the resin fills in the scuffs before the metal has had time to re-oxidise.

I think you’ve done a good job and I would be quite content to ride a bike with that kind of repair. A good amount of overlap.

Me, I might have tried to get away from that huge chunk of filler some way. And maybe cut the CF more at a taper the whole way to create a smoother transition from the aluminium to the repair and back to the aluminium.
Not that I think it’d be hugely important.
Thank you dabac! That is great info about the etching. I wish we had conversed a couple of weeks ago :-) It is nice hearing the opinions of everyone but I appreciate most getting feedback from someone like you with first hand experience with this type of thing. Thank you again for taking the time and for the great vote of confidence in the repair!