Old 11-19-20, 07:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowlab
Well I am looking for feedback one way or the other and I appreciate your view. Also, your profile indicates you either own or work at a bike shop so you have experience. Can I ask is there something in particular about the fix that you would call a weak point? Do you think the structural integrity of the carbon fiber would not hold up? The naval engineer in the video giving the instructions said they have been fixing aluminum on naval ships like this for 25 years and that the several bikes he has fixed for friends and even one racer have never failed. The bike he fixed in the video was actually cracked almost all the way through in two spots. Appreciate you taking the time to help, thank you!
I work at a shop and am a general bike nerd. I find a lot of home-brew fixes to be a bit sketchy. You may have good luck and it may work out but the idea of it doesn't sit well with me. People do it and sometimes they have great luck but I personally wouldn't do it. If I had to do something I would go to a professional frame builder who works in that material.

People on the internet may have qualifications out the wazoo because it is the internet and you can do what you want. They may get lucky with a fix they did heck they may do it all the time but stuff like that you gotta be extra careful of. They can take their own life into their hands but are they prepared to handle things if someone says yeah try this at home kids and it doesn't work out as well?

Whatever you do stay safe and sometimes it is best to say "I have a cool Specialized wall hanger". I had to do that to my beloved Langster but in that circumstance it was a frame failure and they replaced it so I was covered. If mine failed like your's did I would have said ok now time to get that custom bike I have wanted at least these days. If bikes were in supply I would say ok let's see what I can replace it with.