View Single Post
Old 10-31-19, 09:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
The thing is, "a bunch of powered vehicles capable of road speeds greater than 30 mph that you can ride without a license" already exist, most are cheaper than e-bikes, and I don't see them causing any major issues that should have entire forums up in arms.

Would I be ok with "e-bikes" capable of riding at any speed to be legal to ride unlicensed? Probably not. I am ok with the current 20 mph and 28 mph models to be ridden unlicensed though. If they become ubiquitous and children are getting run over on MUPs all across the nation by them, then I will gladly reconsider, but my guess is that it will not become an issue worth expanding bureaucracies for.

While on the topic of licensing, do you want to know what I find more problematic? That you can go get a motorcycle license by doing a test on a parking lot on your buddy's scooter, and an hour later proceed to buy a liter bike capable of going 200 mph. You can even ride it without a helmet in many states.
I'm probably ok with 28 mph being street legal, but not MUP legal. I don't agree that waiting for people to get killed is good legislative policy, however.

I'm in NH. You can only get a MC license after you've gotten a DL, and it involves either a DMV MC written and skills test or passing a certified class that basically does the same thing. States vary on this like crazy, but giving people without DLs motorcycle licenses sounds crazy to me.

Motorcycles are an inherently weird regulatory category. Cars have all of this mandatory safety equipment because of the speeds they can achieve, and with motorcycles, outside of assuring workable brakes, good tires, helmets and a gas tank that doesn't explode, safety features are pretty much futile gestures.