View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 11:30 AM
mikehuangsd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
So, Sora R3000 levers with TRP 8.4 mini V's. I was expecting a lot more bite to be honest after hearing all the "on/off" stories. I don't feel that to be the case at all; these don't have the same bite as proper long Vs, the pad to rim distance is very tight, and the fender clearance on the 38s is a bit tight - all well documented. Braking is much better than with calipers on the hoods but not what I was expecting. Overall, they're adequate if the drawbacks are tolerable. Quality control was a bit lacking as one pad holder's allen head was not broached properly. I also think they are overpriced for what they are but oh well. My background is with MTBs so have been on cantis in the 90s, switched to V's in 95 and then discs in 99. I haven't taken this thing off road yet
I gone and done this conversion twice - I'm pretty pleased with how mini v-brakes match up with road levers.

On one bike I have Sensah shifters/brakes pulling 80mm mini v-brakes, and on the other I have Claris shifters/brakes pulling 84mm mini v-brakes - both feel alright to me. If you can set the pads close to the rim (like 1.5 mm away), the pull and bite feel should be pretty great. If it's not, maybe you have to lose the fenders to set the pads a tiny bit closer?