View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 11:37 AM
VeloFelo54

Bikes: 1951 Claud Butler Massed Start, ca. 1960 Holdsworth Hurricane, ca. 1948 Allin, Stan Butler Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterLYoung View Post
Thanks Your reply/comments: I did see a Gnutti Advert somewhere that showed Gnutti Low Flange Hubs but stated they also provided Hi Flange Hubs.
These Hubs are made in the same way as early Campy hubs with Chromed Steel centre Section with Pressed on Alloy Flanges though not to same quality of finish.
The centre sections are stamped 'Made in Italy' but no Gnutti name on them that I can find.
I still believe these to be Gnutti but if anyone can prove me wrong I will accept it.
Not possible to prove a negative wrong. However, I have 'Cycling' almost complete from about 1945 to 1960 and i have never seen an advertisement for large flange hubs. I also have sales material and although there are pedals and freewheels listed there are no large flange hubs. However, I have learned a little more about Gnutti cranks recently that I was not aware of (different grades), so I am open to persuasion ! I should point out that all of the small flange Gnutti hubs that I have seen carry the Gnutti name of both the barrel and the flanges and i can see no reason why they would have used different barrels for large flange hubs - makes no sense as they would be the same specification. Sadly, despite my repeated requests GnuttiCarlo in Italy appear not to be interested in opening their archives to me ! They made bayonets for the Italian military in WW2 !!