Thread: Mirrors ???
View Single Post
Old 07-25-16, 10:54 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am interested in further details of how this works, thanks.
Shoot...I'll chime in. I do this virtually every day.

Keeping an eye in my helmet mounted mirror every 15 seconds or so for just a glance. See a truck coming a block or two back. Start assessing the situation up ahead. Where am I going to be when that truck gets behind me? I am thinking about this long in advance. Am I going to:

1. Speed up and take the lane for a bit?

2. Will I duck into an empty parking spot or a cross street opening and let the truck go past?

3. Is there a stretch of road ahead that will allow me to keep cycling but move farther right?

4. If I speed up is there a red light I can run to add cars and distance between myself and the truck?

Now take another peek in the mirror and DECIDE!

All of this^^ thinking, and more, takes place in a space of about 3-5 seconds. No problem because I have no issues with thinking about more than one thing at a time. Basically "What am i doing RIGHT NOW?" and "what are my options going to be a few seconds from now?". The decision making process is nearly automatic and I don't obsess about #1 - 4 at all. The first safe option I see is the one I choose. Often I choose just getting off the road and letting the truck pass as this seems to be the safest choice much of the time. I do not mind stopping to save my life.

Easy! (With a mirror of course)

Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-25-16 at 11:20 AM.