View Single Post
Old 07-28-16, 06:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by American Euchre
The quality of engineering in the bicycling industry is poor.The financial incentive vs. say, writing a popular app, or even just working a 9 to 5 as a nurse are miniscule....

Second, it seems that all useful accessories for bicycles seem like esthetic after thoughts, and look and feel like clunky, out of place after thoughts.This includes lights, reflectors, mirrors and bags.

Accessories designers and manufacturers just can't seem to "get it right." It's really kind of sad. The accessories just seems to be composed of designs from middle school kids in shop class.
Originally Posted by vol
Sooo well said--my thoughts all along as well....But there are always what you call diehard bike lovers who are willing to pay for them, esp. the safety related accessories (reasoning: "This bright light is $250, but it can saveyour life.").

(Btw I once suggested here that bikes should be built with integrated lights since they are required by law, annoyed many here )
OTOH,as a diehard bike lover, including self-supported touring, road cycling and year-round cycle commuting for decades, I am in general well-satisfied with my accessories, and the prices, that are important, even vital to my cycling lifestyle, for example my eyeglass-mounted Take-a-Look mirrors. I do agree with you though that some cyclists go overboard with lights, for example blinding headlights on illuminated urban bikepaths, as if the cone of light is a force-field to shield them from harm…the stronger the better.

I mainly reply because FYA, the bikes ofthe Hubway Bike Sharing Program here in Boston do have built-in small flashing white front and red rear lights activated by the bikes forward motion.