View Single Post
Old 06-10-19, 11:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
As far as I can tell, it’s only obtainable by spending an obscene amount of money and choosing to have a wheelset that likely won’t be as strong and stable as you’d like, over the long term. The difference between 1500 and 1200 grams is 0.66 pounds. seems like a more reasonable choice would be 14-1500 gram wheelset and some lighter weight tires and tubes. Or a slight change in gear ratio, if you’re attacking a lot of hills. If it’s more about getting the total bike weight down, it might be more advantageous to look at other areas of weight reduction.

im not hating on the idea at all, but it just seems that a lot of compromises would have to be made in order to reach that weight.

but what do I know, I run large flange track hubs, 36 spokes in a 4x pattern. But I have butted spokes! I actually dont have a clue what my wheels weigh, but if I had to guess, probably between 17-1800 grams.

To be fair, it is a pretty high end bike and is already on the light side.

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2018-...z-custom-37179

A high-end wheelset wouldn't be out of place on this bike.

Tires are already 205 gram Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed and tubes are 52 gram Continental Supersonic. That's 20% lighter than Corsa with latex which the bike is pictured with at the link above.

But I really appreciate the responses here. It is helping me think it through. I'm still not in a rush to replace what's on the bike. Nothing jumps out and says, "Buy me!"

-Tim-