View Single Post
Old 09-22-20, 04:40 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
So, I did some searching on the options everyone presented and found a 44cm Jamis on closeout in a shop not too far away so I pulled the trigger. This looks like a perfect choice for the riding we do and will allow us to hit some things a bit rougher than her current bike can handle. It'll take most of the 105 parts I've got as well (mechanical disc brakes so I don't need new brifters).

Thanks everyone!
At 4’11” and with a inseam of 28”, the bike might still be a bit big. She will only have about 1/2” to 3/4” of clearance. That’s not a lot. Think of how close you want the frame to be to the sensitive bits if you have to bail off in a hurry. You could gain a little bit of space by using a 559mm rim instead of the 650C wheels (571mm). It’s not a lot but every little bit is going to help. With discs brakes this is pretty easy to do.

Also look to reducing weight as much as possible. A tiny person usually doesn’t weigh much and a 24 lb bike could be 1/4 or more of their body weight. Think how you would feel if you had to haul around 1/4 of your body weight all the time. Replace as much many parts as you can with carbon. She won’t be able to stress the carbon so it will last a long time. My favorite light hubs are White Industries T11s. Go with as light a rim as you can find, as well.

A bit of a rant on weight: Women’s and kids bikes are tanks compared to bikes for larger men. I can go out and buy a 14lb bike tomorrow but I can’t go out and buy a 14 lb bike for my wife or one for a child. I can’t even get close without spending a large wad of cash and making many modifications. I wouldn't even consider a 50 lb bike but we expect women and children to ride the equivalent.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: