Old 01-28-17, 03:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorino
JUVELA sent me a PM on this thread (thanks), and so I thought I would add a little to the conversation as a Legnano collector of many years. Based on the serial number EO3064, the production year for this Roma Olimpiade can be dated to 1959-1960 . . . possibly as late as 1961. And yes, WILEONE is correct in stating that the Tipo Roma was renamed the Roma Olimpiade following Baldini's win at the 1956 Melbourne games.

This Roma looks to be completely original including the 151mm bcd of the early Campagnolo Strada or Gran Sport cranks with chainrings reflecting the half-step gearing of the time, most likely 47/50. From the photos, although the quality is poor, the brakes are Universal Extra Mod.51 Brev. 453949. Again the photos are not clear, however most of the Roma Olimpiade - Campagnolo models of this time were fitted with the Brooks B17 Campagnolo model saddle and corresponding Campagnolo seat post with the narrow rail clamps. The photos show that this Roma was also fitted with the first gen Campagnolo bar end shifters that do add some value to the bike. The tubing is almost certainly the extra light DB guage from Falck.

The overall condition of the bike is very good to excellent given the 55+ years that have passed. As for value, I have purchased original Roma models of this period with prices ranging from $2500 - $3500 depending on the condition of the components . . . and as little as $1500 given lesser condition or missing part(s). In this case, I see that the crankset has some excessive corrosion/staining that is not easily corrected. That said, I have never taken exception with any owner's valuation of their own bike as ultimately it is their bike. However when selling a bike the buyer or market is the eventual measure.

Mark Campbell
www.condorino.com
Information like this reminds me of why this is such a great site. I learned a heck of a lot from this and the other posts on this thread.