View Single Post
Old 07-29-19, 08:39 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
An old thread I know, but I just got another. Seems like the prices got crazy for them but im seeing a few just back on the reasonable side of ridiculous. I'm playing with the idea of a commuter arsenal. My first I converted to a coaster brake 3 speed using some English 3 speed wheels. At some point i want to have the wheels rebuilt as 700's using my 3 speed hub.

A second one I have is a single speed using some 700 wheels I got from the local co-op. Building the second is what gave me the "arsenal" idea.

Now finding a third I mean to keep the original tire size, but look for a two speed wheel. Either kickback, auto, or one of the vintage ones with the two speed shifter. Pretty much whichever I come across. If i can pull off one more (there's one about 100mls away for the same price), I want to make it a 3 speed coaster brake also, but with stock sized studded tires.

No, I have no reason why beyond I like the ldea.

karma is working for me at the moment (and i'm feeling like i'm due for a little good karma). i picked up the 4th fuji for my plan over the weekend. even better, i only paid $15 for it. it has a 24" back wheel on it (it's a flea market special), but changing the back wheel is part of the plan anyway. i'll probably go right to disassembly anyway, and just wait til i get the wheel and other parts i want to put it back together.

along with this, bettween buying the 3rd and 4th, i picked up a different style of folding mountain bike. full suspension and disc brakes. i don't plan to strip it down as far as the others, but i may go with a single chainring and tire change. it wasn't part of my original idea, so i'm still thinking on it.
Likes For Philphine: