Old 09-11-19, 02:54 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Fast group riding requires basic skills easily acquired in a short amount of time.
Again, I likely disagree with you.

I'll elaborate. It depends what you mean by "short time" and "basic skills". I can assure you that riding in a group in a Pro-1-2 crit requires substantially more than "basic skills" that are "easily acquired". Having said that, this is likely not what the OP is talking about. It goes back to what the OP means by "cycling". Navigating a threshold drop ride with 34 MPH+ pulls, town line sprints and off-camber turns taken at speed in a tight group is obviously different than toodling along on a hybrid on a MUP.

My reason for objecting to the OP's premise is that I think more cyclists need to appreciate that riding a bike safely requires both skills and knowledge. I see a lot of people riding on the road who clearly have no idea what they're doing: salmoning, not signaling, not riding defensively, annoying drivers, endangering pedestrians. I also see a lot of people joining group rides who also have no idea that what they're doing: surging, not holding their line, allowing gaps to open up, not coming off the front smoothly, not pointing out obstacles. Etc. In both cases, I think some people don't appreciate that they are endangering themselves and others around them.

I think this is an important topic and worth picking apart. I read the OP's assumption as "it's just riding a bike, how hard can it be?" To me, that type of thinking contributes to the issues I describe above.

You keep yelling at other cyclists though bro
"Yelling"? Was this directed at me?

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-11-19 at 02:58 PM.