Thread: 65-85+ Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-25-19, 05:45 AM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
I think I'm starting to realize I'm 70. I still look pretty good, at least people are always surprised to hear I'm 70. I have almost all my hair, and at 5'5" I weight 136lbs. Always been a very average weekend athlete and have been riding on and off since 1973. I really starting riding in earnest about twenty-five years ago. However due to inherited cholesterol issues I did have a heart attack six years ago. Five bypasses and stents.

Aging has happened very slowly...almost imperceptibly. However in the last year I have noticed that I really can't ride as far as I used to and I'm almost unable to ride comfortably two days in a row. No pain, just tiredness. Optimum seems to be a 25 mile ride at 14-15MPH and then at leaset two days off. Three if I really want to feel strong.

Also, I am now napping in the afternoon if my schedule allows...and I have NEVER napped before. Not to mention that if I want to really feel fresh the next day and not bleary eyed when I get up...then a minimum of eight hours sleep is vital. And I hate that because I'm a night owl.

So...I'm feeling like age has really hit when I look at my bike performance and energy levels. Energy, tiredness and recovery have never even been on my radar in life....but it seems real now. I'm not planning on giving up riding (maybe my motorcycles) but will it be a constant downhill performance wise from here on? (No pun intended).

What do you think?

Thanks a bunch, be safe!

What do you guys think?
I am getting ready to turn 76, and each year the decline speeds up, but still enjoy riding, have been doing this for 40 years and don't plan on quitting , much slower but still enjoyable.