View Single Post
Old 09-22-20, 05:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Personally, I think people overestimate the calories required to cycle and so they probably end up eating in excess of what they burn. If you're burning 300-500 calories per hour and then loading up on pastries and such, then no, the weight isn't going to come off.
Having one been a frequent poster in the Clyde forum, I agree based on what numerous people thought they were burning per hour on slow rides.

Personally, while cycling across the country unsupported I managed to put on fat pounds because in the Midwest I was still eating like I had been in the mountains of the west. Also, we ate out more often because of the horrible heat and humidity. Food choices at restaurants were often calorie ladened. When I realized what was happening I dialed it back and lost the weight in the mountains of NY and New England.

Over the years I have lowered my calories while touring without sacrificing performance. This past Sunday I finished a 9 day trip. 64 miles with some pretty good hills in the first 40 miles. For breakfast I had a bottled juice drink and a muffin from a c-store. On the road I had 3 Cliff bars and a package of Truvita crackers. Never one felt fatigued despite a headwind much of the way.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-22-20 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For indyfabz: