CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by gene99
Cargo, did you not say, "I don't need to pretend I like to suffer or some other idiotic machismo."

How should that be interpreted, as a compliment?
It shouldn't be "interpreted", and certainly not as if I was saying "I don't suffer". That's not even skirting the edge of truth, that's making a strawman.
In that same posts, I explained why it ws "idiotic machismo", and one part of that is that we all suffer at times, most people don't try to argue that they enjoy suffering or that suffering is a goal in itself. THAT is "stupid machismo" in my book.

You were the one (American) who tried to argue that Pros riding on cobbled streets somehow was proof that no one else could suffer (have you ridden there yourself? I bet not), and that people who didn't view suffering as goal, couldn't possibly suffer (as if that would be a bad thing).

Here's the post you tried to strawman:

https://www.bikeforums.net/21788512-post162.html

Originally Posted by CargoDane
I live in Denmark. We have plenty of cobble stoned streets here. I don't need to race to "suffer" or find something uncomfortable or having to stand so my fillings won't shake loose. And I don't need to pretend I like to suffer or some other idiotic machismo.

Try doing those same cobbled streets with 40 kilos of cargo (or child) while jostling motor vehicles and riding a bike much longer and wider than those race bikes. Maybe your unloaded racing bike (or those you have seen on telly running on cobble stones) isn't so unique when it comes to not being comfortable.
I gave you a concrete example of carrying a lot of weight, in cobbled streets, in traffic, while dodging traffic to keep your child safe. And you continue with wanna-be racer talk about people in tour de france doing a "tough" course on TdF. Yes, it may be tough for pros on ultralight bikes, but there are many ways something can be "tough".

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-13-20 at 03:25 PM.