Old 11-26-20, 02:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nope. I can appreciate the historical context of an object without fetishizing it or regarding possession of an object as tacit approval of the person or politics associated with the object.

I've considering buying a US Postal era Trek frame just because they occasionally go on sale for reasonable prices. Doesn't mean I approve of the actions of some people associated with that team and era. It's just a pretty good bike and interesting relic of a fascinating bit of history.

I don't follow soccer/football and while I'm aware of the death of Diego Maradona I don't know much about his background other than what wikipedia says (which the PBS stories danced around), and nothing about the context or significance to real fans. I suppose it's comparable to controversial boxers such as Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson, a sport I do know more about. But other than perhaps owning an item autographed by them, I'm not seeing the connection to cycling.

Regarding nationalism, I've never regarded it as anything more than a necessary evil to preserve a buffer to protect the better elements of what we consider ideal values -- despite our frequent failures to live up to our own standards. But among fellow veterans I'm usually the outsider who has no problems with demonstrations they consider unpatriotic.

While there used to be potent nationalistic elements in professional cycling, much of that has faded. While I'm aware that Chris Froome has talked about verbal abuse from bystanders at the Tour de France, and even some forms of physical assault (including urine being thrown at him), I'm also aware that the TdF has a long history of peculiar fan reactions to winners who are "too successful." Jacques Anquetil was not well loved by some fans, supposedly because they considered him too aloof, too mercenary. Eddy Merckx was despised by some fans because he was so dominant, not only in every race but even in every stage, gobbling up every possible bonus. He was even punched by a fan, contributing to his having to withdraw from a race late in his career. Perhaps some French fans didn't consider the Belgian Merckx to be "French" enough, but those fans weren't particularly fond of Anquetil or Bernard Hinault either.

There doesn't seem to be any coherent connection to nationalism there. It seems to be more of a peculiarly French attitude toward dominance in sport, at least in pro cycling -- admittedly one of the most complex sports due to the fickle and almost incomprehensible nature of participants whose roles morph from rival to partner and back again throughout a grand tour, stage and even moment to moment. I used to joke that French fans hate winners, but that's too facile. It's much more complicated than that and difficult to grasp for Americans who prize winning above all else.