Old 02-05-21, 07:42 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Winter riding on an “old school” bike.

For the most part, I consider myself to be a “fair weather” cyclist. November is usually the latest that I’ll be out for a ride (but I did get a ride in this year on an unseasonably nice early December day!) Since Punxsutawney Phil managed to see his shadow on the 2nd of February, meaning 6 more weeks until Spring, I started thinking about what I could be riding in the waning days of Winter. At the encouragement of my daughter to implement the Scandinavian concept of “friluftsliv” (open air living or perhaps enjoying the outdoors regardless of the weather) I’m going to try a little Winter trail riding.
While a “fat tire” bike might be best for this activity, I’m not really in a position (on many levels) to invest in one. My plan is to dust off my Bike NASHBAR Terra XT mountain bike. For all intents and purposes, it is pretty much the bike discussed in this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...knock-off.html

I purchased it back in the mid- nineties for ~$50. I swapped out a few things (handlebar, now flat, Yeti grips and a different saddle) but as stated, it’s nearly a dead ringer for the bike in the older thread. I’m hoping that it will suitable for some mostly flat, groomed trail riding.
We’re expecting single digit high temps (Fahrenheit) and sub-zero lows overnight over the next few days and that’s wit(out factoring in the “wind chill effect” so I’m pretty sure I won’t be taking a whack at Winter cycling this weekend !