View Single Post
Old 02-26-21, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
BITD tandems had 36F40R. Likely overbuilt..
My inferior rear wheel had to be replaced during my 1999 cross country trip. We were in Bowling Green, OH, where we had a day off. A LBS replaced it with a rear wheel from a tandem. 48H. Our leader at the times joked that I now had a disc wheel.

I saw no bowling greens in Bowling Green. It was also one of the worst places we camped. Private campground down a berm from a busy highway. So many people who saw our group of bikes and tents would honk encouragement at us. I think I have a photo at home. Will try to post it.

But, interestingly, it was the place where some odd dude rode into camp during our rest day. He was from Horsham, PA and was trying to circumnavigate the country. I had lost my voice for some reason. Could only says a few sentences in a row and then had to give it a rest. Dude swore that me new me. Kept asking me if I had done this ride or that ride. He was really starting to piss me off. Then he asks "Did you ever do that ride to New York?" and it all came back in a flood. The previous year we had both done the ride. We were on the same ferry from Hoboken to Manhattan. That evening he was part of a group of about 6 who had dinner together by the Brooklyn Bridge. Small world.