View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 12:31 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
My first bicycling shoes were from Italy and they had cleats that were nailed to the bottom and they were OK for many years except that I made a tapping noise going into a store or cafe and got everyone's attention and it was important to move slowly on linoleum flooring. Twenty five years ago I bought a new bike and put on clipless pedals and bought some Shimano clipless shoes that took 2-bolt cleats and have plenty of sole for traction I was in heaven as I could safely walk and cycle with the same pair of shoes. But they wore out and looking for new road shoes I found that I needed to go to SPD-L 3-bolt ones which are far from ideal. I need to put on the special rubber cleat booties when off the bike so it was like going back to the 1970's.

The one advantage of the SPD-L cleats is that they are available with three different degrees of rotation to fit how one like to ride and the newer SPD-L pedals require a lot less force to break my foot free while still not having to worry about popping out while pushing up a hill. For general touring I would be using a mountain bike shoe that had the 2-bolt cleat mounting. On the trails I do not like using cleats and bought a pair of Five Ten shoes with their sticky bottoms (much like rock climbing shoes).