Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by bobin
Thanks everyone for the advice here! I'm totally gong to see a doc.

I went out for a good 25mi ride yesterday on two days rest and fueled pretty good. Other than a super tough 3 min stretch I took it pretty easy. My average HR for the whole ride was 135 with occasional peaks up into 160s. Had the following symptoms afterward:

I always feel pretty good initially when I get done - but as the night goes on I get increasingly grumpy and impatient. By the time I went to bed around 11pm, I felt pretty fatigued. I'm always able to fall asleep with a good audiobook - but I always wake up a couple hours later and I just toss and turn the rest of the night. It's like one or two hour sleep then 1 hour awake.

Recently though what's keeping me awake is a strange feeling in my chest. I've never had the feeling/sensation before of "feeling my heart pumping". It feels so weird it keeps me up deep breathing - especially when I lay on either side. It does not seem irregular or fluttering - it's just unnerving to feel it pumping. So yeah going in to the doc as soon as I can. Probably time to just keep it light and easy.
I know I'm in good condition when I can lie there and feel each heartbeat strongly, like enough to shake my chest. If it feels weak and thin, I'm usually overcooked or out of shape. I thought I had a heart problem a few years ago when I couldn't get my HR over 105 no matter what I did. Really scared me. Turned out I was massively overcooked from taking the tandem on a hub and spoke bike tour in hilly terrain and riding maxed out 3 days in a row. Cardiologist put my on a treadmill, told me my numbers were those of a fit 43 y.o. I think I was 70. More further up in my response to MoAlpha.