Old 07-23-20, 09:24 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have considered this question over the years, as I like the 26" platform but, in real world application, do find 700c to roll faster. If only it weren't so.
What I think is that it goes beyond tire size to construction considerations.

Until recently, it was hard to get a 26" size tire designed for speed. Most come out of the off road or touring genre where durability is prioritized over speed. The same goes for wheelsets. Again, until recently, most 26" wheels were build for toughness rather than speed while 700c has a longer history (and trickle down effect) related to racing like lower spoke counts, aero design, light weight materials etc... And, lastly the gearing/geometry of 26" bikes usually hasn't been optimized for speed (unlike many 700c road bikes).

Add all those factors up and 700c has been historically faster than 26".

I'd like to see two similar bikes, using similarly designed wheelsets, with 26" and 700c tires go toe to toe. A part of me would be cheering for the underdog
I’ve accidentally had some practice at this. I regularly ride both of my bikes, an 80s MTB and and 80s road bike and there is a significant overlap of routes I ride with both.

Until the pandemic, both had the same fit, with classic round drop bars and 11.5 cm from saddle top to stem clamp center. I also had “road” tires on both though most riding is on crushed stone and concrete paths. So 700x32 Ultra Sports and 559x58 RTPs.

Both bikes are steel frame and heavy by modern standards: the road bike is about 27 lbs and the MTB about 29 lbs.

On a favorite flat route with only hills when first heading out and finally getting home, the 26er was about as fast and more comfy. Terrain matters as I cross old railway bridges and I can hit hit them faster with the bigger tires. Best route times and level speeds were about the same.

On hillier routes, the 700c bike was consistently about 1 mph faster overall, which I assume is partly the weight on the climbs and partly because those routes tend to be more pavement where the damping of the 26” tires isn’t much of an advantage.

Since the pandemic I’ve changed both cockpits (raised the bars on the road bike and swapped for Scott AT-4 Pro on the MTB) so that part is less comparable but the results are pretty much still the same.

Otto
Likes For ofajen: