View Single Post
Old 07-31-20, 03:26 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
"Mule" because it gets fully loaded for trips like this and it takes a bit to relearn the handling. Yee and haw.

It looked like a very nice window of fine weather so I headed up into northern Pennsylvania to ride the Pine Creek Trail. This trail is the former road of the heavy freight trains that hauled all of the timber out of the Pine Creek gorge around the turn of the 20th century. The operators and the loggers and the mills clear cut the primeval forests up there and hauled em away* to support the industrial revolution. Now. 100 years later, a beautifully prepared and maintained multi use trail through the woods. The Mule and I travelled 55 miles from Jersey Shore, PA to Asonia. Topped off my water bottles and sent an "OK" text to my wife then turned south again. No cell service thru most of the gorge - aka The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. 10 miles back to the Tiadoghton campground (No, I cannot pronounce it either). Pitched the tent just in time for the first wave of rain. Then dry enough to have dinner, then waves of rain until the early morning hours.

The rain was finished by dawn when I rose early, as usual, packed and was rolling by 7a. 45 miles back to the car. Mixed feelings here. Nice trip all along the creek but those heavy freight trains, with 40' cars meant the tracks had to have long straight aways and long gentle curves. Not interesting scenery. And, down at creek level, it all just looked like a July low water creek and forest. I prefer winding funky trails - more interesting. But we got it done and I stayed awake all the way home (3.5 hour drive). I'm glad I "ticked this one off the list". I would probably not do it again.

* recall John Prine's song Paradise

From Thunder Road: You ain't a beauty but, hey, you're alright. Oh and that's alright with me.

Tiadaghton Campground. Just me and two hikers for the night. Pretty wet stay though. Lovely spot and right alongside the creek. Spotted a Bald Eagle the next morning, lusting after my granola breakfast.
Awesome Voyageur. Love the 86-88 Voyageurs and have an 86 on the way to me. What size tires are you running? 23" bike?