Old 01-29-10, 04:39 AM
Evert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Welcome aboard, Evert!

I'm wondering how your recumbent works when you are heading off to a remote cinema or cafe. Do you need to carry a pretty good lock? Is bike theft a big issue in Belgium?
Thanks!

Bike theft is somewhat an issue in Belgium, especially in cities with loads of students (like Leuven). I always carry a lock (with numbers, not so safe thus) with me, to make sure the bike is somewhat connected to the earth. Sometimes it's just as simple as going trough my day rack, so anyone carrying some basic tools could easy steal my bike. I'm always scared when leaving it alone, but there is not much you can do about it i guess. Thieves are (imho) divided in to 2 categories: those who have tools and are 'professional', if they want your bike they get it. You an try heavy locks and so on, but i don't believe it will stop those. Second category I see are people just wanting to 'loan' a bike to get somewhere (often drunk people) and any simple lock will be enough for this.

I really hope nobody steals my bike, I'd be a total loss and so sad when that happens.

Some typical chit-chat conversation at my work when i arrive with my bike (and bike clothing):
1: Cool, you are here by bike, how far is it?
me: About 23.5km single ride, I love riding my bicycle.
1: Yeah, I've got a (race/mountain) bike worth 1000-3000€, to expensive to put it away in the (locked!) bicycle area over here.
me: ???? confused ????

My recumbent bike wasn't cheap either, but what the hell are you with an expensive bike if you can't use it for commuting or any other job except some nice weather touring? I really don't get those people, but I might be to simple (hehe) for it.