View Single Post
Old 07-04-05, 09:42 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ^_Mike_^
From a physics standpoint climbing and flat riding may be identical. But THEORY may vary greatly from actual PRACTICE. You may perfectly understand the physics behind climbing and flat riding but that does not automatically endow you with perfect climbing technique.

The question "Are you a good at climbing?" may be meaningless in theory. But in real life, it is a good question.
Great - this is exactly what I'm after. I'm trying to find out if there is a real difference. By posing the question in an ideal theoretical manner, I am trying to get rid of subjective factors. I am trying to see if there is any basis to all the climbing hype, like "Zen and the Art of Climbing". Reasoning from a purely theoretical point, I don't see a basis.

So, you say there is something like Perfect Climbing Technique. Without going into much detail, how is climbing technique different from just being fit and pedalling hard up the hill? How would my identical twin that is as fit as me but having learned climbing technique, beat me?