Old 02-21-12, 10:27 AM
bikefor2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toyota Sienna!

After we saw first-hand just how easy it was for our tall friends (with a long custom tandem) to load it into their 2011 Toyota Sienna we did some quick research and just bought a 2012 Toyota Sienna XLE model. If I hadn't seen it for myself I'm not sure we would have been convinced

1. You can load a long tandem in directly, only removing the front wheel. You need the XLE model which has 2nd row captains chairs (no bench seat).
2. Bike seats will not have to be lowered or removed!
3. No seats in the van will have to be removed! 3rd row 60/40 seat folds down flush with the floor.
4. You can still transport people in the 2nd row captains chairs with the tandem in.
5. If you remove the 2nd row captains chair behind the driver, then two tandems and four people can be transported. The 3rd and 4th passenger would side on the right side in the 2nd and 3rd row seat (the 40% part of the 3rd seat put up).
6. You can get an AWD option in the XLE model (which was important to us)
7. tinted windows in back with installed window shades makes the tandem nearly impossible to see.
8. tight turning radius, quiet smooth ride
9. "long slide" 2nd row captains chairs mean you can put them almost anywhere you want in the cargo area. They slide fore, aft, and tilt so you can positon cargo anywhere you need it to be.

The reasons we didn't get the Honda Odyssey (though it is nice):
1. No AWD option, which was very important to us
2. No long-slide captains chairs in 2nd row
3. 3rd row seat not as versatile

Many many people haul their tandem in an Odyssey and love it--but the AWD was a deal breaker for us and the long slide/tilt captains seats in the Sienna gave us options to put in a 2nd or 3rd single bike, put a dog crate up behind the driver, etc. So much more possibilities.

When we test drove the Sienna we told the dealer it had to come home with us so we could physically put our tandem in it or we wouldn't even consider the purchase. We knew our friends did it and we saw that, but we wanted to do it with our own tandem. The dealer had no problem with that and didn't even require a salesman to ride with us. We just put old blankets in the back and between the captains chairs and did it. I wish I would have taken a photo at that time, because we've only had the vehicle for 4 weeks and haven't needed to transport it yet so I have no photos.

I never in a million years thought we'd be the owners of a mini-van, but it's amazing how well it works for this purpose.