Old 07-10-15, 01:03 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by puckett129
I just purchased a trailer and it should be here tomorrow. I have a (just turned) 1 year old that I have been waiting a year to get on the bike with me. I am a little apprehensive about this too. I ride in traffic and don't think much of it. The problem is that it only takes one incident. When you start to convert speeds from mph into feet/second and start to realize the distance a moving vehicle can travel at relatively low speeds, the reaction time of drivers, the effective stopping distance of vehicles, and the magnitude of force that they can exert then it gets scary.

As a parent I want nothing more than to protect my kid, but as a driver I know how eff'd up - let's be honest - 60% of drivers are. There are no protected bike lanes in my city and there's next to no traffic enforcement.

Maybe it would comfort you to know that in 2013, nationwide, the NHTSA reports that there were only 3 "cyclists" under age 5 killed and fewer than 500 were reported injured out of a population of 20 million.