View Single Post
Old 04-03-18, 12:16 PM
mohamilton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I'd go Di2 in a heartbeat over discs especially since you are not going to spend a lot of time in the rain or wet. I love electronic shifting and would now, never go back.

I have both a Di2 bike and an eTap bike. I converted a mechanical bike over to electronic shifting where eTap lends itself much better to conversations (no wires) but would have preferred Di2 before the conversion. After using both, I'd probably go eTap over Di2 now. It's super clean and dead simple to both set up and use.

You can take go to disc brakes later using the electronic group you have. All you need to do is use cable actuated brakes and not hydraulic brakes and the levers should be compatible. TRP makes a break that is the best of both - it's cable actuated but it has a hydro master cylinder built in so that it modulates like a hydro brake but uses cables and cable shifters like rim brakes. Also Paul's components makes a great disc brake that is cable actuated. Either of those would be my choice since the main reason for me is to move away from canti's/v-brakes on a bike on which I can have a wider range of tire widths than a pure road bike. For pure road bike, for me, it's rim brakes all the way.

But the point is that you don't really need to choose between disc brakes/electronic shifting. You can actually get both in the same system and have a decent upgrade path (although it probably requires a frame change).

J.

I like the idea of having both disc and Di2 on the Fuji frame for awhile and having that as my 'nice' bike - probably wouldn't upgrade for a long while. This may be one of the only chances i get to run disc and di2 ultegra for really cheap if I upgraded the Disc frame to Di2.

If I dont upgrade the disc build to di2 I would just get the rim brake Di2 option - the electronic motors sounds so cool!