View Single Post
Old 02-05-19, 10:29 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Going east to west mimics the experience of the explorers, pioneers and 49ers, which is kind of cool.

Good point! The Natchez Trace Parkway near my home was historically traveled South to North, so for the full experience it is recommended you bike/drive it that way. I have also cycled parallel to the Oregon Trail for a few states, and I was very conscious of my direction of travel being significant.

Prevailing winds across the Great Plains is West to East. And that wind can be a real headache, especially if you are a late riser. So there's that consideration.

Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
One thing I learned early on in my touring is to always stop and look behind you. sometimes the views are spectacular!
True that! And it helps to keep you from getting lost in the woods too! Many hikers get lost because they never look back during the hike, which of course looks COMPLETELY different than looking forward.

When I do bike tours, I stop A LOT to look around. My helmet mounted mirror can give me some good clues that the scene over my shoulder is worth stopping a minute.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 02-05-19 at 10:34 AM.