Old 04-08-19, 11:41 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
A better strategy is to arrive at events early enough to seek out cyclists and discuss whether anyone else want to ride as a group. Since the length of a Century ride demands some level of experience and fitness it is generally best to look for riders that are equal to your abilities.
This is a good plan. One I think I will put in to place the next century ride that I do. I've never done this before, but is a good idea.

Originally Posted by kingston
You forgot don't ever jam on the brakes.

I don't ride organized centuries, but I expect they're pretty much the same as every other spontaneous group formation. If I find myself in a spontaneous group, I always pull alongside the line and have a chat with a few of the guys to introduce myself, let them know I'm there and make sure they are ok with me joining the group for a while. <snip>
Another great idea. I do this sometimes. I need to do it more often. As you've indicated, I'll ride up along the group, chat with them for a bit, and then join the ride. It's good to let them know I'm there and to make sure they are ok with it.

Originally Posted by randallr
When I was riding these kinds of events (STP, Ramrod, Apple Valley Century) back 30 years ago I always found it was a matter of course that you'd be doing some paceline riding with folks you didn't know and everyone was fine with it. Don't know if things have changed. The danger is all for the person in the back, so coming on behind someone shouldn't be threatening for someone in front. Rotating out of the front one has to be clear about their intentions, holding a steady pace, not slowing until in the drop lane. But hey, this is all part of the fun of group rides.
Those are all awesome rides, and I've done them myself. I'd say nothing has changed. The way you describe the events and how pace lines setup is pretty much the same. And you're right. It is all fun of the group ride. I've ridden in some great pace lines and some not so great ones. The latter of those lines I usually leave as they are not safe.