LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by roundrocktom
Thank You.

BikeCalc.com has a neat gear chart versus speed. My "granny gear" 30x36 with a 26" tires gives 5.4 mph at 90 cadence. I can drop down to 40 (don't like doing that to my knees but can be done) which is 2.4 mph. You can get up long steep hills doing that if you have the stamina.

On a DF I don't use my calves as much, much more thigh work. Long hills I always rode out of the saddle as much better mechanical advantge — that and much easier to peddle on the upstroke. So riding the Catrike is quite a different experience and muscle groups. I did my bike-run yesterday, back in the pool today. I am trying to work out what muscles to use for what event to keep me going and not cramping. New workout, but good for me to keep pushing it.

I want to do the Ride Across Iowa. So tempted this year, not enough vacation time and need to keep at this swim-bike-run before Santa Cruz, CA in August. Still, 2020 should be a god and time to get my 'bent legs' used to long distance and a few hills. (In my youth I made that crazy Northern California Markleeville loops. Yes I was insane back then, too).
Be aware also that prolonged trike riding leads to beards, bit of a gut, and goofy smiles. It's part of the package in which your bent legs arrive in.