View Single Post
Old 06-04-19, 08:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Fit is much more important on a drop-bar bike than a flat-bar bike (IMO) and even more so for an aggressive frame.

As @delbiker1 notes, you can adjust bar height (seat-bar drop) with spacers and stem. You can also try different bars---drop bars come with varying drop and reach. As he notes, it takes time and miles ... and also, as your body develops the specific muscles, your "correct" fit will change ... and change again during the off-season ...

Ge the seat right first--height and fore-and-aft position relative to the pedals. Then start experimenting with the bars. My high-tech solution is to park my bike next to the washer-dryer, with one foot on the pedal and the other on a small footstool, so I can balance and still approximate sitting and riding. Then I lean forward however much is comfortable, swing my arms down so my elbows are still a little bent, and that is about where I want the hood (I normally ride on or just behind the hoods.) I get whatever stem/spacer/bar combo is going to put the bar where I need it.
Likes For Maelochs: