Old 06-04-19, 10:38 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If Autonomous Vehicles become a big thing, then I would hope they come up with a good light/transponder system that they'll offer cyclists at a low cost.

Still, the cars will have to avoid kids, dogs, and deer, which may not have the transponders, but I'd be happy if they came out with a device that could substantially reduce an already low risk.
Low cost? You mean no cost right? But why should such a thing be necessary?! The only possible exceptions I can imagine are blind or deaf individuals, but all other categories of people should not have to wear transponders so they won't be hit by cars, autonomous or otherwise. If AV's cannot detect the presence of a pedestrian in or near the road then they cannot be allowed to use the roads. Some of you want these systems to be able to detect and track and extrapolate the future placement of vulnerable targets even when some distance from the roadway and this I think is a bridge too far. We don't expect such powers of prescience from conventional vehicles. Why are AV's being held to such an unreasonably high standard?