Old 06-05-19, 02:10 PM
EddNog

Bikes: Road/Race: 2012 Breezer Venturi; Trail: 2016 Scott Scale 720 Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, so finally got my Broam back from the shop after weeks (long story); I immediately decided to install my spare set of Boyd Altamont Lite wheels shod with Soma Supple Vitesse 48 tires (set up tubeless) and was amazed to find how much tire clearance it still has even with these tires! Going back to the comments earlier about tire spacing built into the frame, basically they designed it to take up to 700x45 tires with at least 6mm clearance on all sides, or up to 27.5x2.1" tires also with at least 6mm clearance on all sides. The ISO standard stipulates that minimum 6" clearance for any tire bigger than 28mm, but any tire 28mm or smaller only, "needs," 3mm space on all sides. If we were to, say, bend the rules a little bit, and apply the 3mm spacing limitation to all tire sizes, then the bike should be able to fit 700x50/29x2.0 or 27.5x2.3/650x60 tires with room to spare. Judging by the amount of clearance I am getting with the 700x48 Soma Supple Vitesse tires, everything just stated holds true in real world usage. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures later or tomorrow of how much clearance I have at the fork as well as at the stays out back with the current setup, with vernier caliper measurements. This thing has MASSIVE clearance, significantly more than my old frame (2016 Jamis Renegade Exile). I am totally in love!

As far as internal dropper routing, I have, sadly, confirmed that there is no way to do it, even with a 1X setup, because the BB is simply too small/tight. The only option would be externally routed droppers. I have a PNW Pine dropper on order that I will be installing on this bike, since the KS eTen Integra I have won't work, much to my dismay.

-Ed