Old 06-14-19, 12:47 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
That's a good point, it looks like the pads are already pushed in pretty far, which gets the swivel mount out further from the rim.
Yeah, I agree, there's not much more adjustment left, but there is a little. Like I said, worth a try, it should help a little. Maybe not enough.

So angling the pads down at this point looks like it will not have a drastic effect on the angle of the pad against the rim, though with a narrow rim one shouldn't expect the pad to contact the rim squarely without some accelerated break-in of the pad surface having been done.
Might be close enough. Best practice is that the posts should be perpendicular to the rim flats obviously. You can fudge a little. If you fudge too much it can cause problems, especially as the pads wear in. I couldn't really make a judgement on it without the bike in front of me on a stand. Judging by the photos, I'm skeptical, and as I said I'd lean toward new calipers with vertical adjustment.

Remember that these canti's came from the factory with beveled pad surfaces, and that was for optimal setup on bikes equipped with their original wheels!
But even with modern pad surfaces needing to be "dressed" to use them, these are nonetheless excellent canti's from my experience using them extensively both on and off-road.
I remember when a lot of brake pads came stock with beveled surfaces. It only occurred to me recently that most newer younger cyclists think this is weird and have never seen it. Generally the angled pads were for rims that had angled sides, which used to be pretty common.