gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
For me as a touring cyclists carrying 50 lbs of "luggage" and 200 lbs of me I preferred straight gauge tubing on my steel haulers. The extra weight doesn't matter, the tubes are more resistant to dents and I appreciate the extra stiffness.
My most miserable tour was on a triple butted Trek 720 in the biggest frame size. It was way too flexible. I realize my needs are quite specific so generally I'd agree with you but for me, stiffness is King. It probably explains the two Cannondales and the Klein I currently own.😁
If you put most of your load on the back end, then yes, you need a very stiff frame to counteract the "tail wagging the dog" effect. This makes for a sluggish ride.

If one were to front load the bike, then you don't need a super stiff frame. Loaded like the picture below, I can stand and climb just as easily loaded as unloaded - which is difficult to do when you have a lot of weight on the back end!