Thread: Three Wishes
View Single Post
Old 10-12-09, 04:18 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
To be honest, I really have just one wish. All I want is to be able to ride my bike on whichever road I happen to be riding on at that time in peace, without loser motorists trying to honk at me or run me off the road, or loser cycling "advocates" questioning why I would want to ride on said road. Everything else I can either work with or work around. That said, here are three things I think would be useful

1. Zero tolerance policing of ALL traffic offences for ALL road users, with set mandatory minimum penalties for breaches (which would depend of the seriousness of the offence and would increase for every prior conviction the offender has). If there aren't enough police for that, spend some of Mr Rudd's "stimulus" money on something other than middle-class welfare and fix that problem. Better yet, hold a comprehensive review of all things that are currently traffic offences and abolish any laws put in place solely to protect idiots from their own stupidity, and instead divert the resources used to police those into policing breaches of law that would involve the idiot hurting someone other than him/herself.

2. As pointed out earlier, it would be nice to have public transport that allowed bicycles, it would also be nice if said public transport was actually on time occasionally.

3. I'd actually be quite content with 1 and 2 on this list, and I'm having genuine difficulty thinking of anything to add here. Still, neither of them are ever likely to happen, and number 1 was a big one, so maybe that counts as two.

That is all.