bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sauerwald
3) Eliminate on street parking. On street parking makes driving more hazardous by reducing the sight lines, it forces us to design and build wider streets which makes communities less walkable, further, the cost of roadway construction is huge, and using our streets as parking lots is a large subsidy for motor traffic. With no on street parking, overall lane widths can be much less since the 'door zone' does not need to be accommodated.
I have to say that the streets around here have on street parking on both sides and are a dream to bicycle on (or walk along/across).... They're essentially single-lane roads... one car has to pull over to let another pass. This reduces traffic to just barely more than the people that live on this block, and reduces speeds to very reasonable levels. Very rarely does a car get up to even 20 mph on the roads, even though the speed limit is 25.

My list:

Traffic enforcement. I'd like it to be a top priority... I'm tired of cars running red lights, stop signs, etc., and tired of being harassed, buzzed, etc.

Less subsidy for driving... Bring the costs out into the open where everyone can see them... that includes roads, parking, gas, etc. People in general have NO idea where the money comes from or how much it costs to drive their cars.

Better mass transit: Buses, light rail, high-speed passenger rail.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

Last edited by bmclaughlin807; 10-12-09 at 11:34 PM.