Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
An editorial on opioids...
Good points. I've had plenty of injuries and a few minor surgeries (tonsils, wisdom teeth) and seldom needed anything stronger than ibuprofen or aspirin. I think I got three hydrocodone after my four wisdom teeth were pulled when I was in the Navy and I used only one to sleep that night. Went back to work the next day, no problems.

But in 2001 after my compact car was t-boned by a full size SUV, breaking my neck and back in six places, I was in pain for years. I had prescriptions for oxycontin and muscle relaxers, but I made a month's prescription last a year or more. I think my one month prescription of oxycontin from 2001 lasted me until 2010. I used it only when the pain was unbearable.

In 2018 a car hit me while I was riding my bike. Broke and dislocated my shoulder and aggravated the old 2001 neck injury. The ambulance crew offered fentanyl for the ride to the ER. I said, nah, I'm good, the ER is only a few minutes away. And the ER offered morphine. They were surprised when I declined and asked for a single Tramadol or hydrocodone, the tamest of all prescription opiates. But I did accept the 10 day supply of prescription hydrocodone, which included 20 or 30 tablets. I figured that would be more than enough.

It lasted me three months. But I was still in so much pain at night I could hardly sleep. It was impossible to get comfortable in bed with a busted up shoulder and neck. But the hospital was completely unsympathetic. They were so terrified of federal intervention they refused. And their so-called pain management clinic had no openings for six months.

So I started using CBD and kratom, which helped a lot. And I switched to the VA, which was far better equipped to cope with issues of chronic pain from injuries. My doctor did a thorough screening, determined I'm not a risk for drug abuse, and authorized a 30 tablet supply of hydrocodone, which lasted me a year. And I can still get refills of cyclobenzaprine, but a month's supply lasts me at least a year. I use these only when the pain persists for 2-3 days without relief despite less potent meds, soaking in a hot bath with Epsom salts, massage, stretching, physical therapy, etc. Most days I take aspirin twice a day, and CBD. Usually works fine.

Sleep is a huge factor in recovery from injuries, both physically and mentally. Everything hurts worse when we can't get adequate rest.