View Single Post
Old 10-14-20, 04:19 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Where the rear tire sits there is about 85mm (a little over 3”). The official max size is 2.3 but there are some running 2.8 tires.

Thanks to all all for (seemingly) pushing the triple idea. I am VERY happy with it. IMO it is geared too low for road touring at 17 inch gears but I LOVE it off road I have gone up hills I have had to walk before although it is a bit unnerving when the front tire bobs up.

I tried to get the original rack but that is not available any more. I would pay a premium for one even used. They were sold with the 520 and 920 and are different than the new ones offered by Trek which I don’t really like. I was able to modify the one I have for now and I am thinking of the axiom 29er rack as they claim it is good for you 100+ lbs
the red red on the tire is from the tail light (flare-r)
re 17 gear inch low. For a lot of touring it is low, but if you find that its too low for most of your riding, you can put on a tighter cassette which will be nice to ride with smaller jumps between shifts. I used to think 17 was bonkers low, but am continually surprised by how its nice to have in certain situations, even with a moderate load. In aug I did a 5 day trip and hit the odd steep, loose gravelly hill, so was very happy to have it, even with about 35lbs of stuff on the bike. On my heavier loaded trips in other countries, it was really really really useful to have.
I sometimes have a knee that has a little niggle, so its nice to be able to take it easy on it , especially at the start of a trip when riding loaded is new to the legs.

Good shot for the rear tire, shot down to show the side clearance. Its generally recommended not to get too much closer, just because of if wet and muddy, and stuff accumulates and can abrade the frame. Ive done this with my old mountain bike, squeezing in a 2.5in front tire for more snow float with winter riding, but road and sidewalk grit gets accumulated in the tire with sticky snow and wore away a bit of my old front suspension crown or whatever it is closest to the tire. Wasnt a big deal as it minor and an old old bike, but you wouldnt want to wear away a nice frame like this.
I have a neighbour who would always hang her U lock on the side of the seattube, but it would always ride down and rub aagainst the chainstay--to the point that I noticed it had worn away a little divet in her aluminum frame...so I'm always wary of this---probably not really ever an issue unless riding a lot in muddy conditions, but Ive had mud jam up my mtb a ridiculous amount a few times, to the point of the wheel not turning anymore. Just need the right kind of sticky mud.

enjoy riding the bike, fall and the rest of covidness--getting outside riding is the ticket, around here anyway.
Likes For djb: