View Single Post
Old 10-20-20, 07:14 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Tomm, as already noted, no on rim brakes on disc rim, and I'll add that when riding with a load on the bike, stronger brakes are a real plus. I ride both and have toured for 30 years, love stronger braking with a load.

re tires, changing to lighter tires helps a lot with how a bike rides and feels. If on pavement only, try a lighter slick and the rolling improvement is noticeable.

now about weight--especially as another light person, reducing the weight of the load makes a really noticeable difference, so if either have you have never toured, or done backpacking, there's a good chance you'll pack too much, it's totally common first times.
Secondly, and a big one"--- you just have to accept and realize that you'll be going slower with more effort, and for shorter distances. For folks used to roadie speeds, it's humbling, but that's what it is, and you have to downshift all the time.

so yes, put an effort into lighter tires and lighter gear for packing, but don't sweat the disc system.
I assume this won't be camping? Makes it a lot easier to keep total weight down with good choices.
Likes For djb: