Old 11-09-20, 09:48 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by SoobyDoo
I am riding the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail (FKOHT) in February 2021. There will be flats. The ride is unsupported. Most riders say they have at least two flats on the ride, some riders have as many as 8! I use clinchers and tubes. I admit freely that I am a weakling and cannot get some tires on the rims without using a Koolstop tire jack, which I do carry with me on the bike. The Koolstop tire jack is not perfect, but it mostly works for me.

Whats the best strategy? Use a tire with flat protection that I will have to wrestle with and use the jack if I get a flat? Or use a tire that I can mount by hand, but will probably have less flat protection and one that will likely result in more flats?

Or is it just a matter of using a tire I like and stop over-thinking? I would like to spend my time riding, not fixing flats.

I'm not a touring rider, just local and I want to continue to be one. I'd uber across that seven mile bridge. I also have to use the Koolstop tool for that last bit of tire.
Likes For Gyro: