View Single Post
Old 12-09-20, 11:03 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Cassette lock ring tool is small and light. Using a hacksaw and file, I "adjusted" a cone wrench to fit on the cassette tool, that saves some volume and weight. And several years ago I wrote up a post on a substitute for a chain whip, that post is at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/8...ip-travel.html

That thread also listed some other options to the standard lock ring tool and wrench.

Nothing against the Z bend, but since I built up most of my own wheels, I had spare spokes from when I built them. I bought my road bike as a complete bike, thus did not get spare spokes for it, for that I bought a Fiber Fix emergency spoke.

I noticed. He has not toured yet. I assumed he would find out that the big pile of stuff did not fit in the panniers and would need to cull out some stuff. And likely will try a few short tours near home where he learns how heavy that bike is.

And he is a road bike rider, thus I expect him to cull more weight than most people that are new to touring.
As I mentioned, for me, carrying the right spokes means 10 different lengths, the youngest when we tour next will have a 20" wheel, the middle a 24" wheel, the eldest at 26" wheel, and my wife and I run different rims, when she weights low 100s there's no reason to use the same rim as me in the high 200s. Z bend is the best way for me to be assured of a fitted spoke without carrying a bundle. I can hit a shop if I need more then the 3 spokes I carried.

As Jeff Neese mentioned, also don't see too much wrong with his weight though it is a bit high. Fitted with 3 bottle cages, light, computer, and seat pack, and rack the bike weights just over 30lbs. 40lbs in the rear bags, tent and bag strapped to the top and a handlebar bag with tools and essentials in the front and a top tube bag for snacks I haven't weighed it but I'm guessing I'm approaching 90lbs.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
But you’ll never find this kind of spoke on an OEM wheel. If you have someone else build your wheels, you’ll likely run into resistance to using them. Even people who build their own wheels will resist using them for some reason.
don't know why, I like them for their strength and they're barely more difficult to build with.