View Single Post
Old 02-26-24, 11:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5854 Post(s)
Liked 2,695 Times in 1,503 Posts
You mischaracterize my "dislike" of tension meters. In fact, my objection is limited to a specific issue, namely the method of checking all spokes, plotting the info, and letting that drive the bus.

Not only is it much slower, but it causes folks to "overwork the dough". It's a poor substitute for good methology which can be taught and learned equally easily.

Earlier, I likened this to using training wheels. As long as folks rely on the method, they won't learn better, faster methods. Moreover, the common tension meters lack adequate repeatability, so they could lead folks astray.

That's not to say that tension meters have no place. Used as a QC tool to spot check tensions, and confirm that final tension is within goals, they serve a valuable function, regardless of builder experience.

As a side note, I have a personal objection. Over the years clients would object that the wheels I delivered weren't tight enough. Meters add to the mystique allowing folks to quantify and compare more easily. It's not a serious problem, which I address by asking if they want the wheel to my spec.or theirs, but it's an annoyance.

BTW, earlier in the thread there were posted 2 tension plots, ostensibly of finished wheels. Folks are free to judge the method by the results.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-26-24 at 11:55 AM.